Sunday, May 31, 2009

Navajo Fry Bread

My former roommate lives in New Mexico and told me about Navajo Fry Bread. I've never had "authentic" fry bread before but wanted to give it a try. I used the fry bread much like a tortilla. I served the fry bread with chipotle tempeh (I used the Ortega Taco Seasoning Mix- Chipotle flavor) and served with Nutritional Yeast Cheese.

Using the fry bread as a tortilla turned out wonderful adding new a dimension to the tacos. They would have been even better if I would have had some refried beans to go with them.

The original recipe for the fry bread can be found HERE

The picture is from allrecipes.com (I forgot the take a picture when I made them)


Navajo Fry Bread
  • 4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1-1/2 cups warm water
  • Oil for frying

    Directions
    1.Combine flour, salt, and baking powder. Stir in 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water. Knead until soft but not sticky. Shape dough into balls about 3 inches in diameter. Flatten into patties 1/2 inch thick, and make a small hole in the center of each patty.

    2.Fry one at a time in 1 inch of hot oil, turning to brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment